Brief History of the Department
The Department of Curriculum and Teaching was established in 1993. It is currently one of the three Departments in the Faculty of Education which was created out of the Department of Education. It offers degree programmes in six academic disciplines. There are 26 academic staff and 6 non-academic/administrative staff.
philosophy and objectives
Broadly speaking the philosophy and objectives of the Faculty of Education and the Department of Curriculum and Teaching are centered on the Nigerian national objectives through the pursuit of freedom, democracy, justice, egalitarianism, national unity, strength and self-reliance, economic emancipation, and the broadening of opportunities through well-coordinated education of citizens. Consequently, instruction is generally aimed at:
* The inculcation of national consciousness and national unity.
* The inculcation of the right type of values and attitudes for the survival of the individual and the Nigerian Society.
* The training of the mind in the understanding of the world around.
* The acquisition of appropriate skills, abilities and competencies, both mental and physical, as equipment for the individual to live in and contribute to the development of his society.
* The preparation of competent professionals to man the various segments of the educational sector at the local government, state, and national levels, and
* The production of teachers who are academically and professionally competent as well as committed to the teaching profession.
Mission and Vision
The Department is poised to produce highly qualified and conscientious teachers and educational administrators toward meeting the aims and objectives for education as stated in the National Policy on Education.