FORWARD BY THE HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
The Department, which was started in the 1993/1994 academic year under the Faculty of Management Sciences, now offers three degree and two sub-degree programmes. The degree programmes consist of B.Sc. (Hons) Accounting; M.Sc.(Accounting & Finance); and Ph.D (Accounting & Finance). The sub-degree programmes are the Diploma in Accounting, and the Diploma in Banking & Finance.
The mission of the Department is to provide students with qualitative education and training that shall facilitate their successful negotiation of the various bends in life.
The training offered by the Department will enable our graduates to successfully sit and pass accounting professional examinations of professional bodies such as the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) the Association of National Accountants of Nigeria (ANAN) etc.
The purpose of this handbook is to make available to the fresh and prospective students, ready access to information that will, hopefully, assist and guide them as they plan their educational and training career in the Department.
While the training needs of the accounting profession reside with the relevant curriculum, the practical aspects evolve from membership of a professional body. Students are, therefore, encouraged to imbibe this culture, even in the University, by belonging to the National Universities Accounting Students Association (NUASA), and also abiding by the provisions of its constitution and emerging legislations.
The Department is sufficiently staffed with full time faculty members who have excelled in both the academia and the industry. This has manifested in the high calibre of our graduates. The Department is highly determined, and fully prepared, to maintain these standards.
The Department has been accredited by the National Universities Commission(NUC), ICAN and ANAN.
You are welcome to the Department of Accounting.
Dr. Azende Terugwa
(Head, Department of Accounting)
NIGERIAN JOURNAL OF MANAGEMENT SCIENCES (NJMS)
THE PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT OF ACCOUNTING
The Department of Accounting aims at developing the mind and imparting sound theoretical and practical knowledge that encourage self-reliance in the individual. The curriculum also seeks to assist the individual to understand, exploit and if need be, change his environment. It also aims at training students in the principles and concepts of accounting so as to make them capable of contributing their quota in the public as well as private sectors of the economy.
In conformity with the foregoing philosophy, education and training in the Department of Accounting, BSU has the following specific objectives:
- 1. To provide basic knowledge necessary for an understanding and analysis of problems related to the management of industrial, commercial, public and other human organisations.
- 2. To inculcate in the students of management the skills required for identifying and defining problems and taking appropriate decisions, using the most appropriate scientific techniques and tools.
- 3. To inculcate in the students an awareness of and sensitivity to environmental factors and realities and their impact on management practice and decision making.
- 4. To develop leadership and inter personal relation skills needed for understanding and managing organisation and group dynamics
- 5. To train students who are capable of developing independent accounting systems for profits as well as non profit organizations.
- 6. To train students who are capable of assessing and appraising viability of accounting systems in organizations.
- 7. To train students with the capability of preparing final accounts of a company in meeting the requirements of the Companies and Allied Matters Act and any such laws.
- 8. To train students who are capable of meeting the challenges of Accounting in the public sector of the economy.
- 9. To produce students who are capable of independently running and maintaining public accounting firms with a view of rendering services to society as may be desired from time to time.
- 10. To ensure that students have the ability to appraise and analyze independent accounting packages and develop their knowledge in meeting with the challenges of information technology on the growth of the accounting profession.
- 11. To produce students who are capable of conducting independent audit in private, public as well as other non governmental organizations.
- 12. To produce students with the ability to handle international accounting issues bothering on International Accounting Standard and meeting the requirements of National Accounting bodies such as the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) and the Association of National Accountants of Nigeria (ANAN).
- 13. To train students who are versatile in all areas of accounting including public sector accounting, taxation, auditing, system and audits, management accounting, international accounting and so on.
1 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) Applicants:
(a). The Senior Secondary School or the School Certificate/General Certificate of Education (SC/GCE) ordinary level credit passes in five subjects including English Language, Mathematics and Economics, at not more than two sittings.
(b). Grade II Teacher’s Certificate with credit/merit passes in at least five subjects including English Language, Mathematics and Economics.
(c). An acceptable score in the UTME as defined by the University.
2 Direct EntryApplicants
Applicants must possess the following minimum qualifications:
(a) Five credit passes in GCE (or equivalent) examination at not more than two sittings and at least two passes at the Advanced ('A') level GCE./I.J.M.B.E
b) Five credit passes in GCE (or equivalent) at least three of which must be at the 'A' level/ I.J.M.B.E
c) Five credits in relevant subjects including English, Mathematics and Economics at one sitting and Diploma at minimum of Lower Credit in an institution recognized by BSU.
In any of the cases in (a) and (b) above, no subject is counted at bothlevels of the examinations. It is mandatory to have English Language, Mathematics and Economics in the above stated qualifications.
(a) Candidates must have attained the age of sixteen (16) years on or before the beginning of the academic year of entry into University.
(b) Candidates seeking admission in the University must first of all apply to the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
(c) Applicants offered provisional admission in the University will be required to submit to the Academic Office for scrutiny, original of all certificates and evidence of age qualification.
1 Duration of Programme
Under normal circumstances, a student should spend four (4) years to complete a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) programme if admitted through the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination. The maximum period allowed is six years for the four year degree programme as determined according to the NUC formula of 150% of the normal duration of four years. Candidates who secure admission through Direct Entry however spends minimum of three years and five years maximum period.
2 Award of Bachelor of Science Degree
To qualify for the award of a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting of BSU, a candidate shall satisfy the following conditions:
(a) Must have been duly admitted for the degree programme.
(b) Must have been duly matriculated into the University.
(c) Must have paid all prescribed fees.
(d) Must have passed all required core courses.
(e) Must have accumulated a minimum of 144 earned credit units.