[CLICK HERE TO APPLY]
1.0 In accordance with the provisions of Section 33 (1) of the Benue State University Law, 2020, applications are invited from suitable qualified candidates for the position of University Bursar of the Benue State University, Makurdi.
1.1 The University
Benue State University (BSU) Makurdi was established on 27th day of December, 1992 as the first state owned university in Northern Nigeria. The Vision, Mission and Core Values of the University are the signposts of its Mandate. The University has a total enrollment of 29,459 students (27,712 Undergraduates and 1,347 Postgraduate). Benue State University runs fifty-nine (59) accredited undergraduate programs and several postgraduate programs across nine (9) Faculties of the University. The University is the seat of the Center for Food Technology and Research (CEFTER) - a World Bank Centre of Excellence serving West and Central Africa. The University has an academic staff strength of five hundred and sixty-nine (569) out of which ninety-two (92) are full Professors. The University is on an exciting journey of change and repositioning to distinguish as a National Centre of Excellence.
1.2 JOB DESCRIPTION
The Bursar shall be the Chief Accounting Officer of the University and shall be responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for:
- i. Day-to-day administration and control of the financial affairs of the University;
- ii. Driving and controlling the University’s Fund Raising and Capital Structure;
- iii. Setting up and overseeing the Bursary’s IT System;
- iv. Ensuring compliance with financial policies;
- v. Advising on the financial policies, budgeting and disbursement of funds;
- vi. The preparation and presentation of Annual Estimates, Planning, Control and periodic evaluation of University accounting and treasury services, including investment of funds;
- vii. preparation and updating of Manual of Financial procedures etc; and
- viii. expected to carry out other duties as may be assigned from time-to-time.
1.3 Qualification/Experience and Requirements
A person shall not be qualified to be appointed the Bursar unless:
- i. He/she possesses a good honours degree (at least 2nd Class Lower) from a recognized University;
- ii. He/she has at least fifteen (15) years post-qualification experience in University administration; and
- iii. He/she is, at the time of being considered for appointment as Bursar, not below the rank of Deputy Bursar; and that possession of a recognized professional certificate or qualification in a relevant field shall be an advantage;
- iv. Possesses National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) discharge/exemption Certificate;
- v. Excellent knowledge of data analysis and forecasting methods;
- vi. Be able to formulate and implement financial procedures;
- vii. Proficiency in MS Office, Spreadsheet and relevant accounting packages;
- viii. Strong leadership, communication and people skills;
- ix. Be of good moral standing and stable character.
Possession of any relevant postgraduate qualification will be an added advantage.
1.4 Salary and Conditions of Service
The salary and allowances including terms and conditions shall be competitive and determined by Council.
The Bursar shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years beginning from the effective date of his/her appointment.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
- a. A letter of application addressed to the Registrar and Secretary to Council, Benue State University, Makurdi.
- b. A signed detailed Curriculum Vitae including the names and addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of five (5) referees.
- c. Five (5) signed referee reports addressed to the Registrar of the University attesting to the character and academic competencies of the applicant relating to this advertisement.
- d. A statement of intent of not more than 1500 words that addresses the applicant’s approach to financial management of the University. In addition, the statement should identify the challenges, envision and propose mitigating strategies and innovations she/he will bring to the table as a change agent.
- e. A signed and dated statement accepting the University’s regulations and procedures for the appointment of the Bursar and the timeframe set for the process. (Candidates should access information on the internal and external advertisement for the position of the Bursar from the University website www.bsum.edu.ng)
- f. A signed and dated statement to the effect that the applicant is not a member of any Cult or Secret Society;
- g. Copies of academic certificates, birth certificate and certificate of state origin.
Submission of Application and Closing Date
Applicants should follow the steps provided on the University website (www.bsum.edu.ng) to upload their applications and application materials. Closing date for submission of applications is four (4) weeks from the date of publication of the advertisement. Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
[CLICK HERE TO APPLY]